Olympic runner Shelby Houlihan disclosed that she has been barred from participating for four years due to a positive steroid test, an element in a burrito caused by her claims.
Shelby Houlihan, the American record holder in the 1,500 and 5,000-meter events, stated she’d been barred from racing for four years due to a failed drug test result only days before the Olympic track and field trials.
The 28-year-old runner claimed it via an Instagram message on June 14 that the positive test was caused by her eating a burrito in December that included pig organ meat, which she claims is known to have high levels of nandrolone (an anabolic steroid). The Olympic athlete also said she got her test results in January and had to “research what she tested positive for.”
She wrote, “I tried everything to defend my innocence. I passed a polygraph examination. One of the world’s top toxicologists took a sample of my hair. WADA concurred that the test showed there was no accumulation of this chemical in my body, which would have occurred if I had been taking it on a regular basis. Nothing could persuade the lab to reconsider its hasty choice. Instead, they just assumed I was a cheater and that I had taken a steroid orally, but not on a regular basis. Because it is accurate, I feel my explanation fits the facts far better. I also feel it was discarded without having gone through the necessary channels.”
On June 11, the American record holder said that she obtained the Court of Arbitration’s verdict on the ensuing ban.
Shelby most recently won the U.S. Indoor Championships in the 1,500 and 3,000 meters in 2020 and placed 11th in the 5,000 meters in the 2016 Rio Olympics. Regardless of the findings of her tests, the athlete stated that she “has never taken any performance-enhancing chemicals.”
She wrote, “I’m not interested in cheating… I don’t do it for the recognition, money, or the recognition of my name. This is something I enjoy doing.”